Dust collection hoses are essential for safety and worker health in any facility. As dust, wood shavings, plastics, powders, and other grinding material collects, it can exacerbate allergies and cause respiratory irritation in workers or restrict critical airflow to machinery. Dust expelled from air vents may also settle on production lines and impact product quality.
Proper equipment selection is important for success in any application, so choosing the right hose is essential:
• PVC. In operations strictly for dust collection, PVC hoses are an adequate option due to it being lightweight, portable, and flexible for when equipment is often moved.
• Thermoplastic Rubber (TPR). These material hoses are better suited for applications working with the collection of woodchips or something more abrasive than dust.
• Polyurethane (PU). When collecting even the most abrasive material–commonly found in a textile or paper factory–material will consist of chunks testing the wear of the hose. These hoses (found in our Flx-Thane® collection) are heavier and have stronger tear resistance to withstand the rough material.
How to Choose a Dust Collection Hose
Proper product selection is imperative to maximum dust collection hose efficiency. For example, a hose used for ventilation will have different properties than a hose used for cleaning up metal shavings or sawdust in an industrial environment. There are seven factors to consider when selecting a hose for a given application, which can be summarized by the acronym STAMPED. These include:
• End fittings
Dust Collection Hoses From Flexaust
At Flexaust, we offer a variety of dust collection hoses, ensuring we have an appropriate selection for any application. Our hoses also feature superior crush resistance, as all are reinforced with spring steel wire or bronze-coated spring steel wire helixes.
Flexaust offers a variety of dust collection hoses, including:
• FlexStat. This formulated static dissipative polyurethane hose is reinforced with a rigid helix while being extremely flexible compared to other heavy walled hoses made of PVC. This hose is ideal for plastic pellet and powder transfer.
• Flx-Thane LD. This hose features superior compressibility and abrasion resistance, as well as great flexibility. It operates within a variety of temperature ranges and is fabricated from FDA-approved materials.
• Flx-Thane SD. Available in clear or black, this medium-weight hose resists tearing and abrasion while offering superior chemical resistance, high flexibility, and compatibility with a wide range of temperatures. This hose is commonly used in cleanrooms and plastic processing for its static-dissipative capabilities.
• Flx-Thane LD-SD. This lightweight, clear polyurethane hose offers superior abrasion resistance and flexibility, operates well within a broad range of temperatures, and is constructed from FDA-approved materials. This hose is designed specifically for static-dissipative functionality in lighter duty applications, such as woodworking dust collection.
• Flex-Tube EF (Eco-Friendly). This medium-weight hose is features good resistance to chemicals and abrasion and is frequently used as a replacement hose in eco-friendly applications. This hose is available in a flame-retardant and static conductive model.
• Flex-Tube PV. This hose is constructed with spiral co-extruded engineering, with flexible and crush resistant properties. Its ultra-smooth interior wall will also assure efficient airflow.
• Flx-Thane XLD. This hose is specifically designed for use in applications that experience a wide range of temperature variations. Manufactured with FDA-approved materials, this clear, lightweight polyurethane hose is more affordable than heavier polyurethane hose options.
• Flx-Thane MD. This hose features a wide temperature range, but maintains especially good flexibility at low temperatures. It also features good resistance to tears and abrasion, and the clear model is made from FDA-approved materials.
• R-2. A lightweight PVC hose reinforced with a spring steel wire helix for flexibility and tight bending. This is ideal for for ventilation applications, dust and fume removal
• R-4. This medium-weight PVC hose is ideal for positive pressure purposes and features great compressibility. Manufactured from FDA-approved materials, it’s ideal for a variety of dust or woodworking applications and features high resistances to moisture and chemicals.
• R-4 Stretch. This hose features similar functionality to the R-4, but also stretches and retracts for convenient operation. The R-4 Stretch is custom-made to order.
• T-7. This general purpose thermoplastic hose offers good abrasion resistance, a wide operating temperature range, and good resistances to UV, moisture, and chemicals.
Industries in Need of Dust Collection Hoses
• Woodworking. Where wood shavings and chips are prominent, woodworking sites can only be deemed safe with proper ventilation. Without the use of dust collection hoses, residual wood shavings can be harmful to operators and can prompt fire hazards.
• Cyclones. Using cyclones for particle size reduction requires cutting-edge circulation, as air leakage can be a common operational problem. Dust collection hoses are suited to reduce the accumulation of expelled materials.
• Agriculture. Materials collected in agriculture applications can be granular and quite rough. This is why Flexaust offers dust collection hoses that are puncture and tear-resistant with the high tensile strength to handle these elements.
At Flexaust, we use four different materials for our dust collection hoses. These include:
• High mechanical strength
• High toughness
• Notable wear properties
• Superior elastic memory
Thermoplastic Rubber (TPR)
• Material properties mimic plastic and rubber
• High abrasion resistance
• High tear strength
• Superior chemical resistance
• High abrasion resistance
• Environmentally friendly
• Available for most PVC replacement hoses
Flexaust: Industry-Leading Dust Collection Hoses
At Flexaust, we’re proud to offer dust collection hoses to meet any industrial need. Contact us today to find out more about our available products.